Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 25, 2012

An Unexpected Date

by Susan Hatler, AF, 2012, 11p, rating= 1  2
Source: own this ebook

Holly loves living in her cozy mountain town and all the surrounding beauty soothes her soul. She treasures beading jewelry for her own small business while watching nature and its amazing creatures outside her window. But, her mom begs her to move back to the city so she can find a man to marry. Holly doesn’t want to give up on her dreams, but does that mean she’ll have to give up on love? (Goodreads)

Did you catch that page count above?  11 pages!!  Incredibly too short.  As cute of a story as it was, there was just not enough content and character development for this to work for me.  It's like a short chapter one for a novel.  I don't get it.  I'm glad I downloaded this for free because if I had spent more, I would kick myself.  It's not even long enough to read while waiting at the doctor's office.  It's a shame because it appears that the author can write.  She just needs to write a lot more! ;)

**Update (5/28/12): I get it now (I read two short stories yesterday)! Sorry An Unexpected Date, you happened to be the first short story ebook I read and got slammed for my ignorance of the design of short story books. Which I've recognized might be to taste the author's writing style and perhaps include an excerpt of the author's full length books at the end of the short story. Anyway, I have a new perspective and have been enlightened. Unfortunately, you took the sacrifice for my learning.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like an interesting!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Nutshell ..I think it's 99 cents on Amazon if you'd like to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates