Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Total Memory Workout"

by Cynthia R. Green, NF, 1999, 239p, rating=3
source: library

The fact is that everyone forgets.
It can happen at any age. What most people don't know is that you can exercise your memory just like any other part of your body. For years, Dr. Cynthia Green, director of The Memory Enhancement Program at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, has been helping people--from busy parents and CEOs to retirees--achieve maximum memory fitness.
Total memory workout--8 easy steps to maximum memory fitness
In this remarkable book, Dr. Green outlines her simple and effective program to achieve maximum memory fitness in just eight easy lessons. Each lesson focuses on one aspect of memory followed by a series of specific "memorcises" designed to build memory muscle.(Goodreads)

If you're a regular to this blog, you know that I'm queen of forgetfulness so I thought I'd do something about it.  Hence, I browsed the nonfiction aisle late last month in the library and this book jumped at me.  It was a quick read for a nonfiction.  It was outlined quite nicely so it was easy to skim as well.  But was it informative?  Sure.  It contained simple-practical tricks to memory building, addressed factors that decrease or enhance memory, and much more.

Did it help me?  Hmm, I didn't take notes so I don't recall the exact steps therefore I can't say I'm exercising all to build memory muscle that the book outlined. BUT, I did take out something that stuck and the part of memory that concerned me most (involving daily habits; not concerned about having to memorize a poem or such).  Basically, I learned to be conscious about being focused and to have a specific physical/mental place for certain things I don't want to forget.  That's all, you ask?  Baby steps .. reading one book will not magically cure me of forgetfulness.  Yet, just from that I have noticed that I'm a little more focused or notice when I wasn't.  Plus, I haven't lost my keys in awhile. :)

In short, this book is a good outline for self-help and I believe that the reader can find something useful and specific to his/her memory concerns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates