Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, December 30, 2011

"The Cross Gardener"

by Jason F. Wright, AF, 2010, 293p, rating=3.5

Married and the father of a young daughter, John Bevan had finally found the traditional family he lacked as an orphaned child. But all that disappears when a fatal car accident steals away his wife-and the unborn child she carried.
Filled with sorrow, John withdraws from life and love. He erects a small cross at the scene of his wife's accident and visits daily, grieving. Then one morning he encounters a young man kneeling before the cross, touching it up with white paint. John's conversations and travels with this mysterious man-known to him only as the Cross Gardener-will forever change his world. (Goodreads)

This was a comfort read for me ..sentimental sappy, my kind of book.  This one dealt with grief and finding a unusual comforter.  I enjoyed the strong men relationships ... particularly the Bevan men, Wayne, John, and Scott.  The father-son and brother-brother bonding were feel-good moments.  I especially took a liking to Wayne, John's father.  Wayne had desirable qualities.  He was hardworking, kind, wise, and had integrity.  My kind of father figure so I couldn't help but fall in love with the man and root for his legacy.  Consequently, he raised fine boys and thus I liked the journey these boys were taking to get to manhood ..and parenthood in John's case. 

Simply put, this was a sweet family love story.  A light read that someone who has lost a loved one might find a moment of calmness.  A good Father's Day book as well.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! I love the title. I think I may need a box of tissues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title too ..duh, I didn't read the blurb so getting to the part where the title made sense was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates