Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, December 1, 2011

"Blood Red Road"

by Moira Young, YA, 2011, 459p, rating=4

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.  (Goodreads)

I should have reviewed this book immediately after reading it (2.5 weeks ago) but time got away from me.  Yet, it was memorable and that's saying a lot coming from queen of forgetfulness, me!  Anyway, this was a captivating read.  The Hillbillies-kind of drawl surprisingly wasn't a nuisance and actually gave the characters a feel of being down to earth people so I felt comfortable getting invested in their story.  And what a breeze it was to get through this 450+ page book because the action never let up.  There were rare occasions when you had time to think all was over because in the next sentence another obstacle was to be conquered.  That sounds aggravating but it was delivered in a way that made me feel part of the adventure ...got my blood pumping, as if I was the one running, jumping, swashbuckling, etc.  How fun and exciting that was! 

The seemingly corny romance between renegade Saba and suave Jack was adorable ...think Katnis meets Flynn Rider.  Odd combination but it really worked!  Yet there was another feel good design about this book.  Family and camaraderie.  The heart of the story.  I'm a sucker for getting things done with friends for family sake.  Hurray for awesome supporting characters!! --Psst, I love Emmi!

Smooth and exciting read with a lot of adventure and heart.  Thanks Joyzi for the recommendation!  Took me awhile but I finally got to it.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jinky! My kinda book, especially the adventure and heart. Made a notation on my TBR list -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review. This is the second thumbs up I've run across on this book. I've put it on my Santa list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kittie and Tammy for stoppin' by. Heard many great things so I had to get my hands on this book. A breezy read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates