Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Ender's Game"

by Orson Scott Card, YA, 1985, 357p, rating=5

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner. It captured the Nebula and Hugo Awards. (Goodreads)

Someone call Child Protective Services because there was a lot of violations going on in here!!  Wow, Ender was one heck of a kid!  I was rooting for him the entire time and he delivered.  He was unbelievably beyond his years.  He was pushed hard and as a reader and mother, I was pained.  What horrible psychological and physical torture he had to endure.  That said, it was the empathy that had me turning the pages and wanting to see if Ender turns out a complete mess at the end of this.

Awesome sci fi premise, original and thought out characters, action packed thriller, and an emotionally charging pace.   I think this is the first sci fi that really stirred me.  The making of a leader's psyche was scrutinized.  The inner turmoil going on in Ender's mind was a testimony to the complex capability of human decision making. Really, this book was a disturbingly good read!  I'm looking forward to continuing the saga.

3 comments:

  1. One of a handful of books that I've read twice. I did read the whole series once, but this one I recently re-read and loved it just as much the second time. I'm not a big sci-fi reader, but to me this is a sci-fi for anyone! Great review -- thanks for bringing it all back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall ever seeing much of this one, but I have to say I'm intrigued! I'm glad you liked it so much. :)

    Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know this book either, but have made a notation to check it out. Your reviews are usually spot-on. Thanks for this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates