Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"The Christmas Wedding"

by James Patterson and Richard DiLallo, AF, 2011, audio CDs, 4hrs 42min, rating=1

The tree is decorated, the cookies are baked, and the packages are wrapped, but the biggest celebration this Christmas is Gaby Summerhill's wedding. Since her husband died five years ago, Gaby's children have drifted apart, each one preoccupied by the turbulence in their own lives. They haven't celebrated Christmas together since their father's death, but when Gaby announces that she's getting married-and that the groom will remain a secret until the wedding day—she may finally be able to bring them home for the holidays.
But the wedding isn't Gaby's only surprise—she has one more gift for her children, and it could change all their lives forever. With deeply affecting characters and the emotional twists of a James Patterson thriller, The Christmas Wedding is a fresh look at family and the magic of the season. (Goodreads)

Beautiful cover, disappointing content.

I liked Alex Cross's Trial so I was looking forward to reading another from this duo.  This Christmas themed one sounded promising.  But off the bat the swearing put me off.  It hurt my ears and more likely the reason I didn't listen carefully.  Yet from what I did grasp, there was really not enough character development.  The story was too brisk.  The turbulent life stories of the adult children showed promise but lacked depth.  And don't get me started on Gabby!  I could not connect with that woman.  She didn't seem to respect marriage ...and the three potential grooms for that matter.  I know, this is fiction ..but still.

I know James Patterson can write and I will continue to read his books but this one just didn't work for me.  No fuzzy Christmas feeling felt from my end.  :(

5 comments:

  1. I have read really mixed reviews of this one, but I actually liked it. I loved the fast pace of the story, and I really didn't notice a lot of cursing, but that is something I often overlook when I read, unless it's like every other word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great honest review. I'm not a big James Patterson fan, I like some of his novels and all the Alex Cross films. My son is reading Cross right now, so I'm eager see what he thinks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn. Just bought this one. Hopefully it will do more for me than it did for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty interesting book... Stories about Christmas Weddings are kinda special.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates