Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, October 22, 2011

"The Mouse and the Motorcycle"

**My computer is having hard drive problems.  I've lost all my document and picture files ... and probably a lot more (these two are what concerns me at the moment).  Anyway, I'll freak out about it more later I'm sure, but in the meantime I am able to get into the Internet ... so I better get this review in before my computer dies completely!!  ...oh by the way, I only have a back-up copy of my pictures, everything else lost will stay lost unless my dear hubby can fix my computer.**

by Beverly Cleary, YR, 1965, 158p, rating=3.5

"Pb-pb-b-b-b. Pb-pb-b-b-b." With these magic vocables, Ralph the mouse revs up a dream come true--his very own motorcycle. Living in a knothole in a hotel room, young Ralph has seen plenty of families come and go, some more generous with their crumbs than others. But when young Keith and his parents check in to the hotel, Ralph gets his first chance to check out. He has always fantasized about venturing beyond the second floor, maybe even outside. Curiosity overcomes caution, and Ralph must have a go at Keith's toy motorcycle. Soon, the headstrong mouse finds himself in a pickle, when all he wanted was to ride a motorcycle. Lucky for him, the boy understands how it is. When he discovers Ralph in his thwarted attempt to abscond with the toy bike, Keith generously encourages the rodent to ride. He even teaches him the simple trick of starting the motorcycle: "You have to make a noise... pb-pb-b-b-b." The subsequent situations Ralph motors into require quick thinking and grownup-sized courage.  (Goodreads)

A charming little book about a curious mouse named Ralph, a boy named Keith, and of course a toy motorcycle. Together they have an awesome adventure of fun, danger, and friendship.  A Stuart Little -kind of fantasy story.  So if you like that movie, you will also enjoy this book.

I can totally see young children being on pins and needles and cheering while reading (or being read to) this book.  Action packed, children style.  Overall, a solid clean children's book.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates