Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, September 26, 2011

"A Light in the Attic"

by Shel Silverstein, YR, 1981, 169p. rating=3

Here in the attic of Shel Silverstein you will find Backward Bill, Sour Face Ann, the Meehoo with an Exactlywatt, and the Polar Bear in the Frigidaire. You will talk with Broiled Face, find out what happens when Somebody steals your knees, get caught by the Quick-Digesting Gink, hear a Mountain snore, and see Them Put a Brassiere on the Camel.

From the creator of the beloved poetry collections Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up, here is another wondrous book of poems and drawings. (Goodreads)

Aiy, poems ... I'm trying! Well, in this collection of poems, I found several that were laugh out loud funny and many downright silly and off the wall.  Wow, quite an imagination Mr. Silverstein.  Certainly capturing the wonders of perception.  Perhaps too bazaar for me though.  I'm more for the safe kind of silliness, that of Dr. Seuss.

The things that I saw that might have gotten this on the banned/challenged list were the few illustrations of buttocks and chopped up body parts and frightful stories like that of the boy who cried many tears and drowned.  Potentially disturbing to very young eyes.

Overall, the poems were whimsical.  Unfortunately, I'm no poetic guru so there's probably tons that I missed between the lines.  That said, you might find this collection exceptional.

2 comments:

  1. Like yourself I'm no poet guru, in fact many verses I just don't get but this looks like a fun collection, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates