Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brief Reviews: Marley & Me; Man in the Moon

Marley and Me by John Grogan, non-fiction, 2006, Playaway audio, 9.75hrs, rating=2.5

This was the story of Marley, a Labrador retriever, from his owner's point of view.  An account of the 13-year association with said Marley and his human family.  Portrayed as a handful but lovable dog, Marley's story was enjoyable.  However, too much information ... namely his #2s!  Also, too many rants of his rambunctiousness.  I would have liked much less of that and more of the tender moments.  Because of that, this read as jabber to me. 

I love Marley ... I just didn't love the writing/presentation.  The movie wasn't much better.  Yet both the book and the movie had me shedding tears. Usually that would constitute a 5 stars but not in this case.

Man in the Moon by Dotti Enderle, YR, 2008, 149p, rating=5

“A good introduction for younger readers of the possibility of symbolism and allegory in storytelling . . . comforting indeed.” (The Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books)

This had a rainbow of flavors ... mystery, fantasy, heart, family bonding, hope, etc.  A wonderful short read that packs a lot of depth and reading between the lines.  Hence, leaving you with unanswered questions, but the heart and soul of the story was so moving that it didn't matter. 

A wonderful book, and vaguely recalling, a wonderful movie as well!

3 comments:

  1. If you've ever had a dog, you know that #2 is a big part of it, especially with puppies! For that reason, I could understand why Grogan included so much of it. Personally, I liked the book more than the movie for the same reason you liked the movie more than the book: details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Julie I didn't like the movie better than the book. ~I've had puppies/dogs so I understand why he put #2s there.. just didn't want to hear the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad about M&M. I was laughing out loud at most of his antics & shedding tears at a few moments. Enjoy HP & the Goblet of Fire! I finished it just a few days ago & it was much deeper than the previous books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates