Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Brief reviews: The Whipping Boy, The 6th Target, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman, YR, 1986, 90p, rating=3.5
Newbery Award Winner

Interesting tidbit that there was such a thing as a "whipping boy", someone taking the whipping for someone else.  In this book, Jemmy is the whipping boy for the royal heir, Prince Horace (aka Prince Brat).  So if the Prince acts up, which he often does, Jemmy gets the punishment ...boy, that'll teach the prince! (being sarcastic here).  Anyway, during the runaway adventure the boys learn about friendship and other things.  Like, although Prince Brat can be a dunce, he ends up having a tough skin afterall and Jemmy probably didn't have it that badly since he did end up learning to read and write ...not too shabby for a once orphaned rat catcher.  An overall good young reader book.

The 6th Target by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro, AF, 2007, Playaway audio, 8.25hrs, rating=2.5
(The Women's Murder Club, Book #6)

I should actually start this series in order then maybe I'll like it better!  Oh well, I'm looking at it as a stand alone and it's alright.  The separate cases again tie up and that's pretty cool.  The love story part just didn't satisfy me.  Either Mr. Patterson needs to get with a die hard romance writer and really spice it up or eliminate the love angle all together.  ~Sorry Mr. Patterson, this one didn't wow me, but I did enjoy the 9th book.  :)


The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving, YR, 1820, 105p, rating=3

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I was a bit disappointed.  Although I don't remember much of the TV versions of this book (probably because the thought of a headless man scares the heck out of me!), I thought it'd be more exciting.  Still, excellent writing of its time and the book wasn't scary ... which is a plus for me!  ~Hmmm, so what did happen to Ichabod Crane?  I think he was like Zorro in training... hiding out until he gets the knack for becoming the next headless horseman.  ~BTW, I haven't seen the Johnny Depp movie version ...hmmm, that man's quite an eye candy ...I'll have to check it out sometime. :)))

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates