Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, May 10, 2010

"I Was Amelia Earhart"

by Jane Mendelsohn, 1996, 146p, rating=2.5

I don't know what to say. I like the concept of the story of what might have become of Amelia Earhart after her disappearance back in 1937, on her second round-the-world flight. That was what attracted me to the book. Perhaps this was too short of a read. Maybe more details would have probably worked better ... yet what was here was intriguing.

By this time Ms Earhart was a famous aviatrix and flying was her escape from her demanding husband, paparazzi, and life. In the air she finds a recognized passion... a love affair. So when her husband sets out to promote another round-the-world flight but this time with a navigator, Amelia was not enthusiastic; especially since this navigator was a chronic drunk! A couple other technical unalignments also foreshadowed a dangerous outcome for this trip, but off they went. Surely the plane crashes somewhere off the Pacific Ocean but Amelia manages to land them in one piece. In the deserted island the two begin their lives as castaways. What happens there? Fear, fantasy, silence, love, madness, understanding, peace, acceptance, ... by products from intertwining of two personalities and unusual conditions.

I'll have to ask my sister-in-law how she likes it. I gave her the same book for Mother's Day yesterday (the one I have now, I checked out from the library today to read for myself). ~Perhaps I should have read it first before I gave her the book, but it was on sale! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates